SESSION 41b: DAY 17 – CRAGMAW CAVE
Party initiative = d20 = 14 + 0 = 14
Monsters initiative = d20 = 13 – 1 = 12
· Malandir instantly fires an arrow at one of the troglodytes but misses. He moves 10ft to the south west to clear the way for the other party members to engage the enemy.
· Per yells “Die foul creatures!” as he charges to the north. Stabbing at one of the monsters with his glaive but he too misses.
· Lucien calls for Freemont and Clovis to support him and moves to the square 10ft south of Clovis, tossing an alchemical bomb at the closest trog. P202 of the Core Rule Book indicates that throwing a splash weapon is a ranged touch attack. Lucien lobs the bomb has a range of 20ft but Lucien’s throw is good and the monster takes 5pts of damage and 2pts splash damage to the near by trogs. Lucien notices that the troglodytes are well armoured by their natural scales but are a little slow to move and are particularly vulnerable to touch attacks.
· Freemont moves to Lucien’s southern flank and fires an arrow at the nearest troglodyte but misses.
· Clovis moves 5ft to the south to Lucien’s northern flank and fires an arrow at one of the troglodytes but also misses.
· Talmark downs a potion of cure light wounds, healing back 3pts of damage. He advances 10ft to the north to support the flank of Per.
· Kord moves 15ft to the north to protect Talmarks right flank. He lashes out at the troglodyte there but misses because of the dim light and his lack of infravision (-2 modifier to hit) and being ill (a further -2 to hit). He wonders if he should cast light upon his shield to try to improve their chances of hitting.
· Barret decides he is best able to help the southern contingent and hence he moves 5ft to the south east and fires an arrow and he critically hits the nearest one in the right leg, opening an artery. The monster drops to the ground and bleeds out as it suffers 9pts of damage, killing it.
· Having suffered their first casualty, the troglodytes will need to take a morale check. They roll 3 on 2d6 against a morale of 8 and will fight on.
· The troglodyte opposing Per lashes out at him with his claws and teeth but it misses three times with its bite, claw, claw.
· The next trog attacks Talmark in the same fashion and but, similarly, the warriors armour protects him against the deadly attacks and the monster misses with all three attacks.
· A troglodyte advances 5ft towards Kord and attacks but again cannot penetrate the armour of the holy warrior.
· Frustrated that they cannot find a path to attack, one of the two northern troglodytes decides to move around to the east to try to support its fellows in the south. It double moves 60ft.
· The first southern troglodyte advances 5ft to the west and attacks Freemont. It misses twice but one of its claw attacks works its way through his armour delivering 4pts of damage the hapless warrior.
· The remaining warrior advances on Lucien. Its teeth bite deep into Lucien’s left shoulder and it narrowly misses raking the cleric with its claws. Lucien takes 2pts of damage from the assault.