Incident at Absalom Station
After picking up and reviewing the Starfinder Core Rulebook and getting a positive response from my face to face gaming group that they wanted to give Starfinder a go I was a bit perplexed as to where to start.
Normally, with D&D/Pathfinder, I’ll mash together a couple of old modules and make up a lot of stuff and get the guys into a semi-sandbox style campaign, which they really enjoy. But here I don’t quite have the background in the system yet and there are so many more environments in sci-fi compared to medieval/fantasy.
One of the players suggested that I pick up the new Adventure Path, Incident at Absalom Station, and so I did and here I am.
By necessity this will be a pretty short review because I don’t want to give away spoilers of any significance but let me just say that I’m very happy that I did pick up the module.
It is a great introductory module because it:
- Introduces the party to the new Starfinder world including one of the major places for party members to adventure in the future, the Absalom Station
- It gently introduces party members to the mechanics of the game with plenty of skill checks and some exiting but instructive conflicts helping the players to work through new combat rules
- Gets the players to manage a space ship, which is cool because it’s something new
- Takes them up a few levels over the course of the module
- Takes them through a couple of different environments
- Has a great hook and a good story line
- Has all the stats for the ‘monsters’ and for NPCs making it easy for the GM to manage his or her first campaign.
So unfortunately I cannot say too much more except that it’s a very high quality product, as you’d expect with Paizo, and well worth the price.
I’m glad I bought it and it’ll certainly kick start our next campaign.