Wednesday 23 August 2017

Starfinder Adventure Path Review



Incident at Absalom Station

After picking up and reviewing the Starfinder Core Rulebook and getting a positive response from my face to face gaming group that they wanted to give Starfinder a go I was a bit perplexed as to where to start.

Normally, with D&D/Pathfinder, I’ll mash together a couple of old modules and make up a lot of stuff and get the guys into a semi-sandbox style campaign, which they really enjoy. But here I don’t quite have the background in the system yet and there are so many more environments in sci-fi compared to medieval/fantasy.

One of the players suggested that I pick up the new Adventure Path, Incident at Absalom Station, and so I did and here I am.

By necessity this will be a pretty short review because I don’t want to give away spoilers of any significance but let me just say that I’m very happy that I did pick up the module.

It is a great introductory module because it:
-        Introduces the party to the new Starfinder world including one of the major places for party members to adventure in the future, the Absalom Station
-        It gently introduces party members to the mechanics of the game with plenty of skill checks and some exiting but instructive conflicts helping the players to work through new combat rules
-        Gets the players to manage a space ship, which is cool because it’s something new
-        Takes them up a few levels over the course of the module
-        Takes them through a couple of different environments
-        Has a great hook and a good story line
-        Has all the stats for the ‘monsters’ and for NPCs making it easy for the GM to manage his or her first campaign.

So unfortunately I cannot say too much more except that it’s a very high quality product, as you’d expect with Paizo, and well worth the price.

I’m glad I bought it and it’ll certainly kick start our next campaign.

DEW

11 comments:

  1. Tim, you're making it harder than ever to resist dipping my toes into this game. I've been looking at prices for the rulebook and supplements on Amazon and I can feel my willpower weakening day by day. It's not available for sale in the UK just yet but when it does (early next month) I may well succumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Well mate it's not really my job to manage your financials is it.

      Delete
  2. I just bought Starfinder off Amazon today myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So jealous of you guys in the US and UK. Down under we've got to wait an eon to get anything in hard copy (all my stuff is PDF at the moment).

      It's like we're on the opposite side of the planet or something.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Yea, it really does not make sense in this age to NOT have a worldwide release instead of sporadic here, then wait a month, then there, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But dude, they have to row the containers full of goodies all that way.... lol!

      Delete
  4. I recently picked up the Starfinder Core rules, and just ordered the first adventure myself. Glad to hear you give it a good rating. I agree with you that running this type of Campaign is quite different than my traditional sandbox fantasy games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brutorz. Yep. I think that's why I was so happy with the Adventure Path. Normally I would just do my own thing but I was a bit stuck as to where to start so the Adventure Path has made it easy for me.

      Delete
  5. Now I know why your called the Dark Eyed Warrior. You cast a spell over to buy the New Starfinder rules.... But the good new was that Barnes and Noble book seller was given 20% off for all members this on any books. HHHMMM back to reading the new rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aggghhh you're killing me. We'll I'll just keep reading on the PDF till the snail mail finally turns up in Aus.

    ReplyDelete