SESSION 23: DAY 10 – CRAGMAW CAVES
Through the wall, Talmark responds: "I, ser, am Talmark Feldrac, and it is the mission of my compatriots and I to clear this dangerous land of the chaos that troubles it to help establish the rule of Law that it is lacking. We have cleared this complex of its troublesome bandits and claimed it as our forward operating base, for now. I see you are Toragites, and I have no doubt you've been to Burg Liechenstein recently. We have good standing there and return on occasion to collect our bounties and update the Brothers on our progress."
"Now, what is YOUR business here?"
Malandir waits, knowing that Talmark is buying time for the others to ready themselves for battle should it be required.
He admits a grudging respect for Talmark's choice of words, all true, but not quite revealing the allegiance of the group, not provoking but asserting his authority here and dominion of the cave. Very clever.
Malandir knows he has a good position and will surprise the enemy with his attack if it is needed, and he so badly wants it to be needed .... but for now he is content to wait and watch.... if there is one sign of aggression, or a call to others outside to assault the cave, the arrow will take flight ....
Lucien is impressed with Talmark's challenge, and concerned Malandir may take matters into his own hand.
He does not necessarily care for the acolytes, more for the reaction of the men at arms and what potential strife it would cause if Malandir decided to fire on the two strangers unprovoked. If we needed to end them all, we'd encounter suspicion and difficulty at the Burg attempting to hire more...
Lucien awaits the acolyte's reply.
"We are Adalgar and Brunhild. Acolytes of Torag. We've come to free the lands of chaos and evil. Open up so that we may see thee and converse,” responds Brunhild.
Lucien backs away to his crafting area and stapes on his belt that has an Alchemical Fire and grabs a Cause Fear scroll. Before gauging whether to return, he considers his pentacle birthmark which may set the clerics guys off. If this encounter can be smoothed without Lucien in sight, it may be for the better. If not, well, Lucien needs to gather what resources he can to bring to the mix if it develops.
"These Torags are getting impatient....at least being an elf, one learns to wait, we have the advantage of time over lesser races" Malandir thinks to himself, as he holds his shot.....
As Lucien returns to the door, Kord sees a slight nod of the head. It’s all the affirmation that he needs.
Kord immediately Channels Negative Energy upon the two intruders.
The might of Asmodeius’ power permeates through the fortified wall.
· Kord Channels Negative Energy and rolls 5 for damage. The two acolytes will need to pass a DC 15 Will save. They both have a Will save of +4 and will need to roll an 11 or better. They roll 1 and 5 and both take full damage of 5pts.
· Seeing that the attack has begun Malandir aims and fires at the flat footed foe. He aims at Brunhild. The shot is true and thuds into the armour of the cleric but cannot penetrate it.
· Kord taps Talmark on the shoulder. “Now is your time brother”. Talmark kicks open the door and brings the mighty Felldrac down upon Adalgar but the swing proves to be wide and he misses.
· Per searches deep in his heart. The party has treated him well and he always had a slightly dark streak in him and never did like followers of Torag. He 5ft steps through the door and stabs at Brunhild and hits him in the left shoulder for 6pts of points of damage. Disabled and on 0 hit points, the cleric collapses to the ground and looks up helplessly at the man at arms. [A random check was issued upon Per. It revealed that despite the fact he is Lawful Neutral he has some evil tendencies.]
Party Initiative: Roll 15 + 0 = 15
Clerics: Roll 7 + 2 = 9
· Talmark again brings down the two handed sword but again fails to make contact.
· Malandir fires an arrow at the still standing cleric but also misses.
· Per stabs at Adalgar and hits him in the chest of 8pts of damage. The good cleric collapses and starts to bleed out.
· Kord begins to Channel Negative Energy again but restrains himself just in time.
AFTER THE BATTLE
The combat is finished before it had even begun.
Talmark and Per stand over their defeated foes. Adalgar is unconscious and is starting to bleed out. Brunhild holds out his hand, attempting to stay any further action.
Standing next to Malandir and witnessing the crime Barret looks on impassively at the situation as it unfolds (turns out he is truly Lawful Neutral). The other two mercenaries have seen nothing as they are still donning their armour.
Looking down on his opponents Kord cracks his knuckles, draws his heavy mace and proceeds towards them………………………..