SESSION 35d: DAY 17 – CAVES OF CHAOS
· Reveling in the rush of the combat Talmark thinks to himself “Stab, stab, stab the ugly daaaawggie…”. He lashes out with Felldrac but misses the hyena. He calls out to the rest of the party to close up their formation, “Barret and Clovis, move up into line with Malandir and Fremont. Get more swords into the action.”
· Per feels the satisfaction of redemption and it delighted with having slain a hyena with just one blow as he stabs at the remaining beast with his glaive but he misses this monster.
· Lucien lower and fires his crossbow but misses.
· Malandir admires the ease with which Per’s glaive felled one of the hyenas. “The other will soon be dead” he thinks to himself as he lowers his bow and fires an arrow which also misses.
· A frustrated Kord stretches out his hand and releases a Fire Bolt at the hound and misses.
· As Barret advances 10ft to tighten the attack area he hands his torch to Lucien.
· As Clovis advances 5ft to the north west, he fires his bow and hits the almost mystically difficult monster to hit with an arrow to the head. The arrow gouges along the hyenas scalp and passes through its ear as it delivers 5pts of damage. He considers dropping his bow and drawing his sword but after that success he thinks he’ll hang onto the bow for now.
· Fremont fires an arrow at the monster but misses.
DM’s note: Some players will know this but for those who don’t, part of the reason why everyone is missing is that combatants who are in hand to hand combat, as the hyena currently is, get a bonus to their armour class of +4 from missile fire. Thus, hyena’s effective armour class against missile fire at the moment is 14 + 4 = 18. Most party members only have +1 to hit with missiles hence all the misses. This penalty can be removed by taking certain Feats, which I’m sure Malandir will do as soon as he can.
· A “Woop…yelp” are heard from the cave and the hyena suddenly turns around and makes a Withdrawal move from combat (note a Withdrawal move doesn’t provoke an Attack of Opportunity). Malandir, who speaks gnollish, knows that this is the hyena’s master recalling his pet.
· An arrow races from the inky darkness towards Clovis. It critically hits him in the stomach. The festering arrow buries deep into his bowl and immediately begins to spread deadly feces based bacteria as it delivers 11pts of damage. Clovis is almost felled by the blow and will need to take a morale check next round as it is the first time that he has been wounded in this combat.