SESSION 35c: DAY 17 – CAVES OF CHAOS
· Malandir fires another arrow at the flat-footed and wounded gnoll and hits it again, this time in the face. The arrow penetrates the soft palate as it does 12pts of damage. The gnolls head jerks back as the arrow strikes and the monster collapses. Malandir then withdraws back 30ft, out the cave mouth and just to the north of the party.
· The party decide to reform around the cave entrance to attack the monsters as they come out and to also throw some caltrops. As they move they check their equipment but quickly work out that it only Malandir that is carrying the little devices.
· Having taken their first casualty, the gnolls must test morale. They roll an 8 on 2d6 and they pass.
· As Malandir’s withdrawal was a standard move the monsters saw him retire. The southern hyena, with its master gone, cannot resist chasing the elf. The loping beast has a surprisingly quick turn of pace of 50ft per action and it chases the assassin. As it chases the elf it realises that there are other opponents in front of it and it changes its tack slightly and heads straight for its foe that is nearest the elf, ie Talmark. Per is the first to act with his reach weapon as he is afforded an Attack of Opportunity as the hyena leaves one of his threatened squares. As it gets next to Talmark, but just before it is able to attack, Per gets an Attack of Opportunity with his glaive. He slashes out at the hideous monster but he misses. The monster leaps at Talmark and it just hits him. It bites into his stomach, penetrating his armour as it delivers 5pts of damage. As it grabs the human fighter it tries to drag him down to the ground. The beast has a Combat Maneuver Bonus of +3 against Talmarks Combat Maneuver Defence of 17. The hyena rolls D20 = 3 + 3 = 6 and fails to pull the fighter down.
· The gnoll slaps the other hound on the rump and it runs in to attack Per. As it advances upon him Per gets another Attack of Opportunity (Per gets multiple attempts per round as he has the Combat Reflexes Feat). He stabs at the beast and hits it in the left shoulder. The blade of the big glaive bites deep and he does 17pts of damage. The hyena is put down before it is even able to reach its foe.
· The party can only see 30ft into the cave and cannot see any other action coming from the gnolls.